How to Make Work Fun?
We spend a decent amount of time and put effort into work. It surely would be better to make the work itself fun and interesting. There are people who enjoy work itself and devote themselves to it; they work because they enjoy it. On the other hand, there are people who can't say that what they do is fun; they think that work is earning money in exchange for their labor and a means of survival.
The other day, among the board members at e-Jan, we did a little bit of brainstorming to define what aspects make work fun. The board members want everyone at e-Jan to enjoy the work they do and make it a standard. Following is a list we put together.
Work is fun when;
- your customers appreciate your effort
- your fellow company members appreciate your contribution
- your customers appreciate the organization you are in
- you can pursue your technical interests
- you resolve difficult issues
- you know that you are performing well
- the business is going well
- your work is recognized by the society
- you can utilize your abilities to your highest potential
- your team accomplishes something and shares the joy
- you feel you are learning and growing
- you see the results of teaching others
- you proactively contribute to the organization, the company, the industry and the society
I was hoping to have a longer list, so I would like to encourage everyone to come up with some more items under "Work is fun when:" By having a list, we can change the system, or create some tools, to make work more fun!