The Significance of Leaving Comments and Giving Feedback
Since I've founded the company 17 years ago, which I'm luckily still running and even taking on more staff, I've had a strong determination that hasn't changed. It is: I want everyone to do their best and perform very well.
Imagine you are doing your best and performing very well. Doesn't it make you feel happy?
- You challenge and overcome difficult problems
- You put efforts into improving behind-the-scenes that you could get credit for later
- You keep improving your working environment patiently
- You inspire others
- You help people to grow
- You can do the tasks precisely, consistently
- You have accomplished a goal that people in the company are pleased with
- You have a good reputation
- You were praised by a customer
- Your service was praised by a customer
- Your colleague was praised by a customer
- The company that you work for was praised
- Your colleagues trust you
The former part of the list are examples of accomplishments that you have full control over. If you can have enough will and determination, then you can achieve those accomplishments. The latter is based on others' reactions. These are harder to obtain.
Praising and/or acknowledging is not so common in Japanese culture. This is probably due to some underlining characteristic of shyness. Thus, many people lack the latter experiences.
Then what should we do?
We should give praise and acknowledgement in writing. One of the reasons why I give comments to everyone's daily report every morning, to the best of my ability in the time I have, is because of this belief. However, since I have been experiencing difficulties in continuing this solely by myself due to the increasing number of staff, I am going to modify the system so that anyone can comment on anyone's report. We might want to express our feelings, attach some pictures, and respond to others' comments.
Why do I want to encourage comments?
It is to increase the latter experiences in the above list. It is to encourage everyone to perform very well. I am now working on changing the system. I hope to complete this in a month. Let's see how it turns out.